Sometimes we don’t have to look to the current food trends to improve our diets – we can actually look to the past. Check out these 6 simple food combinations that have been around for years that can add more flavor and nutrition to your meals.
1. Drizzling olive oil on a tomato increases absorption of lycopene – an anti-oxidant that helps fight certain cancers.
2. Pan frying fish in coconut oil makes the Omega 3 fatty acids from the fish more available to our bodies.
3. Sautéing garlic and onions in grass fed butter cause allicin, a powerful antioxidant from the garlic, to be more available to our bodies.
4. Vinegar or lemon squeezed over dark leafy greens helps to increase the nutrients of the greens, specifically iron.
5. The lime used to make traditional corn tortillas unlocks certain amino acids from the corn for the body to absorb more efficiently.
6. The health properties of turmeric are better absorbed by the body when combined with black pepper.
Get back to the basics and try one of these tips to make your meal healthier and your food tastier – tonight!